Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Ad image

Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek’s doping scandal ‘disgusting’ in tennis – Nick Kyrgios

MONews
3 Min Read

Nick Kyrgios said the high-profile doping cases involving Grand Slam winners Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek were “disgusting” for the tennis world.

Sinner, the Italian men’s world number one, faces the threat of suspension after testing positive for anabolic steroids twice in March.

Swiatek, also 23, was suspended for a month after testing positive for a banned heart drug in August when Paul was the women’s world number one.

“I think it’s been handled terribly in our sport,” said Kyrgios, a 29-year-old Australian.

“It is disgusting for our sport that two world number one athletes are both being punished for doping.

“You look terrible.”

Kyrgios is preparing to return to competition at the Brisbane International after missing 18 months through injury since taking part in the Stuttgart Open in June 2023.

Meanwhile, major players in the sport, in both the men’s and women’s games, have been embroiled in controversy over their respective test failures.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) cleared Sinner of wrongdoing after testing positive for Clostebol twice, but the case was sent to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) after the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) launched an appeal. It has been moved.

Swiatek accepted a one-month ban, which ended on December 4, after ITIA approved a positive test for trimetazidine (TMZ) due to contamination with melatonin, a regulated non-prescription drug.

The treatment of these two players has led to accusations of double standards, with two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep saying there was a “completely different approach” to these cases compared to her own.

However, ITIA strongly declines to handle these cases any differently.

“Everyone knows the integrity of tennis now, but no one wants to talk about it,” Kyrgios said.

“It’s okay. I know people don’t like me just being honest.”

In addition to making his singles comeback against Frenchman Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard, Kyrgios will partner Novak Djokovic in the men’s doubles event as he seeks his 100th tour-level title in Brisbane.

Share This Article